Information for Patients
COVID-19 (Wuhan virus) Emergency – Telemedicine services available.
Please note: For new or established Medicare and Medicaid patients in the United States Dr. Zünkeler offers telemedicine appointments. Patients in Maryland who would like to make appointment for a remote consultation visit with Dr. Zünkeler regarding neurosurgery issues involving the spine or brain are encouraged to contact the office for an appointment. The telehealth services will require that patients have access to broad-band internet and are able to download the Microsoft Teams application to their dektop or laptop computer or to their portable handheld device. Dr. Zunkeler’s office will provide further information. Patients will need to fill out and return the paperwork provided by the e-mail and a copy of their insurance cards together with a copy of a government issued ID (e.g. State Driver’s license or passport), via e-mail.
Dr. Zunkeler and his staff look forward to welcoming you to our office. Please call us before your appointment to confirm. If you have a printer, please print and fill out the pre-visit paperwork and bring it with you. Otherwise, be at our office at least 30 – 60 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to fill out the forms. Please bring a list of your current medications. Please do not wear strong perfumes. Please wear loose-fitting clothing about your arms and legs that can easily be pulled up to allow sensory testing. Also, please wear shoes that you can easily remove and put back on.
About neurosurgical office visits for consultation
- History of the presenting problems and a general medical history.
- General Exam (vital signs, general appearance, heart, lungs, circulation etc.)
- Neurological exam (brain function, cranial nerves, motor and sensory examination, examination of coordination and gait etc.).
- Spinal examination (range of motion, posture, spinal balance, muscular development, pain location etc).
- Review of available diagnostic studies (X-Rays, MRIs, EMGs, laboratory, etc).
- Treatment recommendations
- Government picture ID (i.e. drivers license)
- All relevant diagnostic imaging studies (i.e. MRI films or CDs, X-ray films, etc. – Dr. Zunkeler has online access to several radiology providers (Advanced Radiology, Progressive Radiology, Chesapeake Radiology) but not to all of them. If at all possible, please bring relevant imaging studies with you.)
- List of all current medications (if in doubt, please bring the medication bottles in a plastic bag)
Patients sometimes wish to review paper copies of their records. We charge the current State of Maryland page copy fee to patients who wish to receive a paper copy. Please allow several days for processing of the request.
Generally, we fax a copy of the patient’s office or procedure notes to the referring provider (usually the PCP). We generally do not release medical reports directly to third parties, i.e. governmental administrative bodies (courts, Social Security Administration, police investigators, etc.), unless we are compelled to do so by subpoena or under other special circumstances, which are described in our Privacy Practices.